TR Weekend 2019
TR Weekend is running a week earlier in 2019 to make sure we can have Joe Wiegand return as TR.
TR Weekend is Newcomb’s premier event, celebrating Theodore Roosevelt’s journey out from the High Peaks wilderness near Newcomb to the White House following President McKinley’s assassination in Buffalo NY. Events will be planned over the entire weekend throughout Newcomb and designed for families with cultural and informative entertainment. Joe Wiegand will return to honor our events with his presidential appearance as “TR”. Indoor and Outdoor activities will take place all weekend. So come on up 28N, the historic “Roosevelt Marcy Trail” to Newcomb, NY, the Heart of NY State’s Adirondack Park to enjoy it’s history, culture, beauty, and wilderness.
TR Weekend, Sept. 6-8, 2019
FridaySeptember 6, 2019
- 12-5pm: Exhibit “Behind the Scenes at Camp Santanoni” residents who worked at Santanoni. Walk the rooms of the museum with Joan Burke, Museum Director, where many artifacts, photos, and displays bring back vivid memories.
- 4:30-6pm: Class of 2022. Old Fashion TR Barbecue dinner. Come for delicious Buffalo burgers, regular burgers, hot dogs, salads, beverages and gourmet s’mores.
- 6pm: Fun continues with Rockin’ Through the Ages Family Fun Night, also sponsored by the Class of 2022 with games and Rock music from the 50’s to current.
SaturdaySeptember 7, 2019
- 8-10am: Class of 2022 providing homemade buttermilk, chocolate chip, or blueberry pancakes, sausage, juice and coffee/tea. School Cafeteria.
- 9am: Reservations required. Two Free Wagon Rides to Camp Santanoni. Meet at the Gate House no later than 8:45am (look for event sign on 28N west side of town.) Tour returns mid-afternoon. Bring a bagged lunch & beverage. Walkers and bike riders can walk or ride to the camp (the route is a 9.8 mi. round-trip) and are welcome to join the 1pm tour of the Great Camp.
- 9-11am: Fishing Derby – Coach Winslow’s Pond on 28N. Pre-K-3rd Grade – Prizes. Look for event sign.
- 10:00-11:00am: Running of the Colors (runners, joggers, walkers–All Ages)—Event takes place throughout the Winebrook Hills neighborhood streets. Sign in at St. Barbara’s Episcopal Church, 28N. Be a spectator & help color the runners by tossing non-toxic, powdery hues at participants as they pass by on the route. Run finishes at St. Barbara’s with hydration and a snack, and some really colorful selfies and pictures.
- 10-3pm: Float Plane Rides piloted by Tom Helms, Helms Aero Services, Long Lake. Newcomb Town Beach Dock. Rain Date Sunday, Sept. 8th.
- 10:00am-5pm: Exhibit “Behind the Scenes at Camp Santanoni” people who worked at Santanoni. Walk the rooms of the museum with Joan Burke, Museum Director, where many artifacts, photos, and displays bring back vivid memories.
- 10-3pm: Goodnow Mountain History hosted by Mike Gooden, ESF Forester. A family-friendly hike with panoramic views of the High Peaks.
- 10-2pm: Car Wash hosted by Class of 2023, Newcomb Health Center parking lot.
- 10-4pm: Fire Hall. Local and regional crafts for sale.
- 10:30-11:30pm: Paul Smith’s College Timber Sports Demonstration. Newcomb Overlook Park, 28N.
- 11:30-1pm: Pulled pork lunch hosted by NCS Class of 2021. Beverage & dessert included. At the School Cafeteria.
- 12-2pm/2-4pm: (2 showings): PBS American Experience episode “The Panama Canal”– Teddy Roosevelt visited the Panamanian Isthmus to witness the progress made on the canal. The first time in US history a sitting president left the country. NCS Auditorium. [The trip will also be discussed by Pres.Roosevelt (aka Joe Wiegand) and Zack Phelps after dinner in the auditorium.]
- 1-4pm: Join the Newcomb Mountain Quilters to stitch a quilt square at the Adirondack Interpretive Center for lap quilts to support veterans and cancer patients.
- 1:30-2:30pm: Fly Fishing Demo by Rick Kovacs at the Cloudsplitter-Outfitters on 28N.
- 2:30-3pm: Family Tree & Ice Cream Social – sponsored by Class of 2023. KIDS make their family tree. Ice Cream Social afterwords. Newcomb Overlook.
- 4-4:30pm: President Roosevelt stops by the Newcomb Historical Museum and speaks on Family Heritage with Joan Burke, Director of Museum.
- 4:30-6:30pm: “Vieni a cena Italiana” Italian dinner hosted by class of 2020 in the Newcomb School Gymnasium. Authentic Italian dinner with Meat or Veggie Lasagna, Chicken Parmesan, salad, beverages and assorted desserts.
- 6:30-8pm: Newcomb Foreign Affairs Roundtable Presents Presidential Firsts: Theodore Roosevelt, The Nobel Peace Prize, and Historic Trip to Panama and Puerto Rico. A conversation during TR Weekend with the 26th President of the United States on his diplomatic achievements in 1906.
- 8:30pm: Fireworks at the Overlook.
SundaySeptember 8, 2019
- 8-10am: Egg “McNewcomb” Breakfast sponsored by Class of 2023. Breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese & ham, juice & coffee. Overlook Pavilion, Rt. 28N.
- 9am: Reservations required. Two Free Wagon Rides to Camp Santanoni. Meet at the Gate House no later than 8:45am (look for event sign on 28N west side of town.) Tour returns mid-afternoon. Bring a bagged lunch & beverage. Walkers and bike riders can walk or ride to the camp (the route is a 9.8 mi. round-trip) and are welcome to join the 1 pm tour of the Great Camp.
- 9-10am: Ty Yandon 5K Race. Meet at the Newcomb Health Center parking lot, 4 Santanoni Drive, across from Newcomb Overlook Park. Call the Health Center at 518-582-2991 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Registration Fee/$15.
- 10am-2pm: TR Weekend Golf Tournament hosted by the NCS Class of 2020. Lunch provided. Call 518-582-3341 to register.
- 10-11:30am: ESF’s Open House at the former Archer and Anna Huntington Great Camp on Arbutus Lake. The lodge has been completely renovated and restored to its former glory. Refreshments will be served. Look for event sign west of town.
- 1-3pm: History of the McIntyre Co.’s “New” Furnace and Blacksmithing demonstration – Come learn about this magnificent, historic structure, be part of history: for the first time in 163 years a furnace will be back in operation at the Upper Works while blacksmith Dan King demonstrates how to turn iron into art”. Meet at Blast Furnace.
- 3:30-4:30pm: Gather at the Tahawus Club with TR for Cookies and Refreshment.