TR Weekend 2020
TR Weekend is Newcomb’s premier event, celebrating Theodore Roosevelt’s journey out from the High Peaks wilderness near Newcomb to the White House following President McKinley’s assassination in Buffalo NY. Events will be planned over the entire weekend throughout Newcomb and designed for families with cultural and informative entertainment. Joe Wiegand will return to honor our events with his presidential appearance as “TR”. Indoor and Outdoor activities will take place all weekend. So come on up 28N, the historic “Roosevelt Marcy Trail” to Newcomb, NY, the Heart of NY State’s Adirondack Park to enjoy it’s history, culture, beauty, and wilderness.
TR Weekend, Sept. 11-13, 2020
FridaySeptember 11, 2020
- 12-5pm: Exhibit “400 Years, From Sea to the Mountains” stories and genealogies of local descendants of Warren, 1620 passenger and signer of the “Mayflower Compact.”
SaturdaySeptember 12, 2020
- 9am: Reservations required. Two Free Wagon Rides to Camp Santanoni. Meet at the Gate House no later than 8:45am (look for event sign on 28N west side of town.) Tour returns mid-afternoon. Bring a bagged lunch & beverage. Walkers and bike riders can walk or ride to the camp (the route is a 9.8 mi. round-trip) and are welcome to join the 1pm tour of the Great Camp.
- 9-11am: Fishing Derby – Coach Winslow’s Pond on 28N. Pre-K-3rd Grade – Prizes. Look for event sign.
- 10:00-11:00am: Running of the Colors (runners, joggers, walkers–All Ages)—Event takes place throughout the Winebrook Hills neighborhood streets. Sign in at St. Barbara’s Episcopal Church, 28N. Be a spectator & help color the runners by tossing non-toxic, powdery hues at participants as they pass by on the route. Run finishes at St. Barbara’s with hydration and a snack, and some really colorful selfies and pictures.
- 10-3pm: Float Plane Rides piloted by Tom Helms, Helms Aero Services, Long Lake. Newcomb Town Beach Dock. Rain Date Sunday, Sept. 8th.
- 10:00am-5pm: Exhibit “Behind the Scenes at Camp Santanoni” people who worked at Santanoni. Walk the rooms of the museum with Joan Burke, Museum Director, where many artifacts, photos, and displays bring back vivid memories.
- 10-3pm: Goodnow Mountain History hosted by Mike Gooden, ESF Forester. A family-friendly hike with panoramic views of the High Peaks.
- 10-4pm: Fire Hall. Local and regional crafts for sale.
- 10:30-11:30pm: Paul Smith’s College Timber Sports Demonstration. Newcomb Overlook Park, 28N.
- 4-4:30pm: President Roosevelt stops by the Newcomb Historical Museum and speaks on Family Heritage with Joan Burke, Director of Museum.
- 4:30-6:30pm: “Vieni a cena Italiana” Italian dinner hosted by class of 2020 in the Newcomb School Gymnasium. Authentic Italian dinner with Meat or Veggie Lasagna, Chicken Parmesan, salad, beverages and assorted desserts.
- 6:30-8pm: Newcomb Foreign Affairs Roundtable and President Theodore Roosevelt.
- 8:30pm: Fireworks at the Overlook.
SundaySeptember 13, 2020
- 8-10am: Egg “McNewcomb” Breakfast sponsored by Class of 2023. Breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese & ham, juice & coffee. Overlook Pavilion, Rt. 28N.
- 9am: Reservations required. Two Free Wagon Rides to Camp Santanoni. Meet at the Gate House no later than 8:45am (look for event sign on 28N west side of town.) Tour returns mid-afternoon. Bring a bagged lunch & beverage. Walkers and bike riders can walk or ride to the camp (the route is a 9.8 mi. round-trip) and are welcome to join the 1 pm tour of the Great Camp.
- 9-10am: Ty Yandon 5K Race. Meet at the Newcomb Health Center parking lot, 4 Santanoni Drive, across from Newcomb Overlook Park. Call the Health Center at 518-582-2991 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Registration Fee/$15.
- 10am-2pm: TR Weekend Golf Tournament hosted by the NCS Class of 2020. Lunch provided. Call 518-582-3341 to register.